30 March 2001

slightly off topic war memory

hi,
I was evacuated to Winchester from Southampton in the summer of 1940, it being very unhealthy there at that time. There was me and my brother Peter and my mother. We were taken in by a very kind family called the Townends who lived in Ripponden on Bereweeke Road, between the PS's outer playing field and that of the girls' school. One night in September of that year the sirens went and we went out into the middle of the girls school field and sat on a rug and watched Southampton being bombed. My father was with us, being home on leave before being posted overseas for the duration.
Christopher Townend is an old Symondian who I plan to look up soon, it's more than fifty years since I last saw him!
 
regards,
jim, site manager,  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.